Welcome to TACONS!
Please come join in on the fish chat.

Hello!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello!

Post by SarahJane on Tue May 01, 2012 6:54 am

Hello everyone! I am new here, and quite new to all of this. I have a single tank, with one beautiful injured betta (that is finally growing his dorsal fin back!), one 4" algae eater, several various tetras (neons, silver tips, and I appologize but I forget the breed of the other tetras I have), as well as two Golden Apple Snails. I had one Mickey Mouse Platy, but he decided that the Betta looked like a plaything while I was at work, and well, the Betta won, but only after losing his entire dorsal fin. I found out about this club through a very informative, helpful staff member at Pets Unlimited in Sackville/Bedford, after asking many questions about my snails. She thought I would get better information here. I am enjoying my first tank, but learning as I go, and love that there is this available for people like me to learn from others! Looking forward to gaining new insight and information, and hopefully will be better with my tank than I would be without other's support (Hubby doesn't have any knowledge or real interest, so this is definitely my thing!)
SarahJane

Number of posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello!

Post by Gord on Tue May 01, 2012 7:08 am

Welcome to the site SarahJane! :cheers:
Gord

Number of posts : 885

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy4bettas on Tue May 01, 2012 7:25 am

Welcome to the site! I'm sure you'll find folks here very helpful and informative.

Sorry to hear that your betta got beat up. I find they generally heal up pretty good though his fins may never be quite as beautifully shaped as before. Do you still have him in the tank with the others? If not, you could try adding a little salt to his water to help encourage the fins to heal and prevent finrot. If he's still with the others, the salt might cause issues with the snails though.

What size is your tank? Sounds like it is pretty active with all the tetras in there :)

crazy4bettas
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3051

http://www.crazy4bettas.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishbait on Tue May 01, 2012 7:32 am

Welcome to the forum

Fishbait
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 3098

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane on Tue May 01, 2012 7:35 am

I had him in a seperate bowl for a couple of days because he had a hard time swimming, but he adjusted very well, and he now has a stump regrowing! looks like it will be pretty once it fully grows out. and I figure it probably won't be quite the same as his original, but still should be better than the nothing he had for a while! :)

My tank is only a 10g. and I love the look with the tetras. they tend to stay fairly close to one another, and sometimes it's like they break off into breed schools. it's funny. but the light reflecting off of them is great. I do have another 1.5g hexagonal tank that I had one tetra with the beta and algae eater (when he was smaller) in first. Then I upgraded to this and love it.

I may have to try to move the tank from where I am keeping it though, because I have them on my top floor of my house which gets quite hot in the summer, plus they are in the same room as my computer. which also of course heats up the space quickly. Thinking I may try to build my own stand, and move them to my basement. I have a heater in the tank, so they should be ok down there. And my cat is afraid of them, so I know I wouldn't have to worry about that. lol.
SarahJane

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy4bettas on Tue May 01, 2012 8:41 am

SarahJane wrote:I may have to try to move the tank from where I am keeping it though, because I have them on my top floor of my house which gets quite hot in the summer, plus they are in the same room as my computer. which also of course heats up the space quickly. Thinking I may try to build my own stand, and move them to my basement. I have a heater in the tank, so they should be ok down there. And my cat is afraid of them, so I know I wouldn't have to worry about that. lol.

Just keep an eye on the temperature of the water. My tanks usually stay just about right in the summer and Bettas actually prefer warmer water anyway (contrary to popular belief) so they can tolerate it. The snails on the other hand tend to prefer cooler water...
crazy4bettas
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3051

http://www.crazy4bettas.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Crystalwaters on Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 am

Welcome to the site. Sorry about your injured betta, crazy4bettas is a betta expert, glad she's able to recommend something for you.
I find the people on this site very helpful and welcoming, hope you enjoy your stay!

Crystalwaters

Number of posts : 2613

Back to top Go down

Post by Kfitz99 on Tue May 01, 2012 9:44 am

Welcome to the group
Kfitz99
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 489

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane on Tue May 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Thank you everyone. And I appreciate all the tips and suggestions. Like I said earlier, I am definitely learning as I go with this.
SarahJane

Back to top Go down

Post by fish'nfry on Tue May 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Hello and Welcome to TACONS, SarahJane!!!

Glad you found us. There are lots of fishkeepers on here willing to help you out anytime. So please don't hesitate to post any questions or concerns you may have.

Please take a minute to review our Forum Rules and Policies under "Rules and Policies" section.
There's also the Avatar guidelines right in this section for your quick reference.

In the next week or so, an email will be sent to you with a membership form to fill out and return to sender. You don't have to fill out this form but if you decide not to fill it out, you will not receive a membership card or any of the discount cards from the club that entitles you to enjoy discounts from our generous lfs sponsors. So please watch for this email. If you don't get an email within a couple weeks, please check your "Junk Mail" in case it's there. If still not there, you may make a follow-up post under "Membership Cards for discounts" in the Club News section.

If you have any pictures you would like to share with us, feel free to post them anytime. We always love to see fishy pictures here.

Enjoy and welcome to TACONS!! :cheers:
fish'nfry
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 5217

http://www.accesswave.ca/~baccro/

Back to top Go down

Post by Plecolover on Tue May 01, 2012 2:35 pm

Hello there SarahJane!!!

I hope you can get the help you need on here. I know I got a lot of help when I started up new to this hobby about 1.5 years ago. I started with a 20 Gallon and now I have a 78 Gallon *not fully stocked yet we are working on that* We still have the 20 Gallon set up as a QT tank

IT is an addictive Hobby I love it.

Welcom To TACONS :D
fishy fishy fishy fishy fishy fishy fishy
Plecolover

Number of posts : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by kippers on Tue May 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Welcome SarahJane

kippers

Number of posts : 428

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahJane on Tue May 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Thank you everyone. :) I think I will enjoy this a whole lot more with people to share it with. And you have all made me feel welcome already, and only one day in.
SarahJane

Back to top Go down

Post by H2ohNo on Tue May 01, 2012 7:45 pm

H2ohNo

Number of posts : 3168

http://www.youtube.com/user/mediabandit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content