Welcome to TACONS!
Please come join in on the fish chat.

Sponges always ready for you!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sponges always ready for you!!

Post by Fishbait on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Hello Trede, the sponges are the mechanical cleaning part of the filter. If you get an established sponge and squeeze the mulm(fish waste and bacteria which converts ammonia and nitrite which are harmful to your fish to nitrate which is less harmful)into your tank or filter to decrease the amount of time it takes to cycle your tank.
The haze white in the tank is udually a biological bloom. A few water changes should take care of that haze.
I hope this helps and welcome to the hobby enjoy :D

Fishbait
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 3098

Back to top Go down

Post by fishysmiths on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:00 am

Hey guys! As some of you may have been following my blog / journal; I am presently in the process of switching my 37 Gal from Gravel to sand. I am also adding an AC 150(older) HOB to help with water quality. Wondering if anyone had some old used sponges kicking around to fit it, and what they would want for a couple. I have charcoal in my other HOB which I am leaving in the tank as well and was just planning on putting sponges in the AC. Thanx

fishysmiths

Number of posts : 371

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy4bettas on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:23 pm

fishysmiths wrote:Hey guys! As some of you may have been following my blog / journal; I am presently in the process of switching my 37 Gal from Gravel to sand. I am also adding an AC 150(older) HOB to help with water quality. Wondering if anyone had some old used sponges kicking around to fit it, and what they would want for a couple. I have charcoal in my other HOB which I am leaving in the tank as well and was just planning on putting sponges in the AC. Thanx

I always have some well seeded filter floss in my HOB tank that I could give you. It's not sponges, but it will certainly get you started. I live just on the other side of Truro though...
crazy4bettas
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3051

http://www.crazy4bettas.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by fishysmiths on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:41 pm

crazy4bettas wrote:
fishysmiths wrote:Hey guys! As some of you may have been following my blog / journal; I am presently in the process of switching my 37 Gal from Gravel to sand. I am also adding an AC 150(older) HOB to help with water quality. Wondering if anyone had some old used sponges kicking around to fit it, and what they would want for a couple. I have charcoal in my other HOB which I am leaving in the tank as well and was just planning on putting sponges in the AC. Thanx

I always have some well seeded filter floss in my HOB tank that I could give you. It's not sponges, but it will certainly get you started. I live just on the other side of Truro though...

We are actually headin to Halifax tomorrow... Perhaps on our way home I could swing by and get that floss. How much would you like for it? If u wanna PM your # to me and I can give you a call when we are heading back. Thanx.
Nathan

fishysmiths

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:42 pm

I work tomorrow but will be home in the evening if that helps at all
Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 4244

http://www.nsaquariumclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fishysmiths on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:44 pm

No, we'll be home by the evening. Thanx anyway

fishysmiths

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:45 pm

No problem!!
Founder
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by fishysmiths on Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:03 pm

U going to be around tomorrow afternoon Wayne?

fishysmiths

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder on Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:09 pm

Early evening around 6.00pm, what's up
Founder
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by fishysmiths on Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:28 pm

Just lookin for some floss or sponges but we will be gone past Shubie before that. I should be fine. One filter is good and cycled so it should be alright. Thanx anyway! :)

fishysmiths

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:45 pm

No problem at all!!
Founder
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by goguenm on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:59 pm

I just got my new 40 gallon tank last night and am still in the process of getting it ready for water. It came with a Fluval 205 filter and I was wondering if anyone has any media or sponges that they'd trade me...their used containing all of the "biological goodies" for my new stuff? I would greatly appreciate it :)
goguenm

Number of posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Post by A.J. on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Ive got some biomax in my AC 110 that Ill trade you if you want.

A.J.

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by goguenm on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:58 pm

That would be awesome! Where are you located and when would you like to trade??
goguenm

Number of posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Post by A.J. on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:28 pm

PM sent

A.J.

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by pilotboat on Sat May 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Hello I am very new to the aquarium world. In fact, I started it for my 6 year old daughter but I think it was really for me! I , ummm I mean, she has a 30 gallon tank and it was started in January. Slowly we put 4 platies but one died. There were 8 neons but now we are down to three... they keep disappearing. A male beta and now two frogs. There are live plants but they are used for snacks.
I do 25% water changes every Friday. And I take my water to Pets Unlimited and they say my water is fine.
What is the new tank syndrome? and how to I prevent it?
I was going to get some guppies since they are colourful and that is what my daughter likes. Any ideas on what I should be doing next or differently?

pilotboat

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by barterking85 on Sat May 14, 2011 11:22 pm

i have lots of used media i store in my cycled tanks (new glasgow) let me know if i can help and share some knowledge just send me a pm

Last edited by ryan-peddle on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
barterking85

Number of posts : 591

Back to top Go down

Post by barterking85 on Sat May 14, 2011 11:26 pm

pilotboat wrote:Hello I am very new to the aquarium world. In fact, I started it for my 6 year old daughter but I think it was really for me! I , ummm I mean, she has a 30 gallon tank and it was started in January. Slowly we put 4 platies but one died. There were 8 neons but now we are down to three... they keep disappearing. A male beta and now two frogs. There are live plants but they are used for snacks.
I do 25% water changes every Friday. And I take my water to Pets Unlimited and they say my water is fine.
What is the new tank syndrome? and how to I prevent it?
I was going to get some guppies since they are colourful and that is what my daughter likes. Any ideas on what I should be doing next or differently?
i have no idea whats going on there be carefull adding guppies with bettas introduce them but be ready to move them quick cause even a docile betta can light up when he sees a guppy but some live comfortably i always say try it be be ready to intervein and make sure your home to watch the progress good luck i know they say your water levels are "FINE" but do they give you the numbers?
barterking85

Number of posts : 591

Back to top Go down

Post by jessiker05 on Wed May 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Hello all,

trying to cycle my first ever tank for some african dwarf frogs! I don't know anyone with an established tank to bum off of lol. If anyone is around Dartmouth or Halifax areas that has some to spare, it would be greatly appreciated!
Also, I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm trying to read online as much a possible.. Got some Nutrafin Cycle, which apparently is crap! and put two live plants into the gravel. Don't know what else to do! But I want this to hurry up.. I want to get my froggies!!! :D

Any tips would be awesome!

Thanks!
Jessica
jessiker05

Number of posts : 64

Back to top Go down

Post by jessiker05 on Thu May 10, 2012 5:43 am

Got a sponge last night.. thanks Doug! :)
jessiker05

Number of posts : 64

Back to top Go down

Post by keiness on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:50 am

Hey folks, I have two new 5 gallons with Marina Slim filters (so would need trimmed foam inserts) that I need help with for cycling. They come with cartridges, but I think I might just toss them and use foam instead. If anyone has something to help me out, that would be great! I live in Clayton Park.

keiness

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Kfitz99 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Whats the best way to keep sponges after you change them? I have 205 canister and have been wonder what to do with the older sponges. There are four and I have been staggering two at a time after several months. Full or cut up they should be good for cycling? I use the bio cubes too.
Kfitz99
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 489

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishbait on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:10 pm

Once you have your filter cycled replacing the filter sponges isn't required until they are tattered. Just wash them out in some old tank water and your good to go. Though some people do like to change them monthly there is no real need for it. Only way to keep your old filter sponges cycled for use at a later date is to keep them in your aquarium where the bacteria will continue to be fed.

Fishbait
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 3098

Back to top Go down

Post by Kfitz99 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks
Kfitz99
Mods
Mods

Number of posts : 489

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Guppy on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:38 pm

My shop is run on sponge filtration, anytime you want a squeeze drop by and it will be done.

Cheers
Matt

Golden Guppy

Number of posts : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top